April 15th, 2018
1 JOHN 3:1-10 CHILDREN OF GOD
See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. 3 And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.
4 Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. 6 No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.
7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous. 8 Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil. 9 No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him; and he cannot keep on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. ESV
- John is clear, being a Christian is a matter of IDENTITY. We are children of God!
- Being children of God does not endear us to the world (V.1). If we are not careful we could find ourselves TRADING our distinctiveness as God’s children for worldly applause.
- John tells us that it is important to LIVE INTO our identity. So, aim high (V.3). How can we purify ourselves? The answer is in v.9. God’s seed that abides in us is the WORD OF TRUTH.
James 1:18: He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
1 Peter 1:23: For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
- Sinning, John says, is CONTRADICTORY to life in Christ.
- John makes a distinction between a mess-up/bad choice, etc. and habitual disobedience. (In the Greek text the word for sin depends on the grammatical tense for meaning)
- 1 John 2:1 is about the mess-up/bad choice. (aorist tense indicates a particular act)
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 1 John 2:1
- 1 John 3:1-10 is about habitual disobedience. (present tense indicates habitual action)
- God is forming us into a people of RIGHTEOUSNESS who love one another. V.10
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24