April 22nd, 2018
JOHN 10:11-18 THE GOOD SHEPHERD
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. 13 The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
19 The Jews who heard these words were again divided. 20 Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?” 21 But others said, “These are not the sayings of a man possessed by a demon. Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”
- When Jesus announced that he was The Good Shepherd, it was for many in his day and for some still today an outrageous CLAIM. V.19-21
- Jesus is saying, “I AM GOD!” (Psalm 23)
- Some struggle with the notion that God cares about where they are in life.
- It is difficult for some to accept that God Almighty, Creator of all that is, ENGAGES in personal, intimate relationships with people.
- While there are many expressions of faith; worship, serving, etc, there is only ONE flock with ONE shepherd. V.16
- Do I really matter to God? I can answer that three ways:
- He KNOWS ME by name! v.14 (Do I know his voice?)
- He CARES FOR ME! He is the good shepherd. V.11, 14 (Do I know his presence when I’m struggling or hurting?)
- He LAYS DOWN HIS LIFE for me! V.15 (Do I know I am saved by Jesus’ death? Do I realize the possibilities afforded me because of what Jesus has done?)
- The life, death and Resurrection of Jesus reveal the heart of God. He longs for us to know his love. Jeremiah 31:3; I have loved you with an everlasting love, I have drawn you with unfailing kindness. John 3:16; For God so loved the world…