December 17 2017
O COME, O COME EMMANUEL
ISAIAH 61:1-4 EXACTLY WHAT WE NEED
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, 2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, 3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.
4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations.
- We celebrate Advent/Christmas because it is God REACHING INTO human misery.
- God’s reach RESONATESwith love for us. God does care about our afflictions.
- The coming of Christ REFLECTS God’s passion to be with us in all circumstances.
- God has acted to REDEEM our past, RESCUE our present, and RESERVE our future.
- Through Christ we can REBUILD our lives from devastation.
- Through Christ we can REVERSE the generational bondage of failure.
- Through Christ we can REORIENT life toward God’s design for us.