December 24 2017
O COME, O COME EMMANUEL
LUKE 1:26-38 WHO, ME?
In the sixth month, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary. 28The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."
29Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. 31You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. 32He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." 34"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" 35The angel answered, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. 36Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. 37For nothing is impossible with God."
38"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her.
- It is not uncommon for God to call us into uncharted territory. Often we make EXCUSES. We may feel inadequate or simply be unwilling to follow where God leads.
- God’s vision is never just about us. It always involves OTHER PEOPLE.
- Mary isn’t the only one highly favored of God. (vv.28, 30) WE ALL ARE! The birth of Jesus Christ is absolute proof of God’s love for us!
- Our challenge is to transition from the romanticism of a baby in a manger to acknowledge that a KING was born to rule over our very existence.
- God helps us OVERCOME our reluctance to step out of the mundane to follow his plan.
- He calms our FEARS through assurance that He is with us. (V.28)
- He connects us with His extraordinary DESIGN for humanity. (vv.31-33)
- Mary shows us how to respond when we HEAR the voice of God. (v.38)
- “I am the Lord’s servant…”
- “May it be to me as you have said.”