Easter April 1st 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 16:1-8 IT AIN’T OVER TILL IT’S OVER
When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. 2 Very early on the first day of the week, just after sunrise, they were on their way to the tomb 3 and they asked each other, “Who will roll the stone away from the entrance of the tomb?”
4 But when they looked up, they saw that the stone, which was very large, had been rolled away. 5 As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in a white robe sitting on the right side, and they were alarmed.
6 “Don’t be alarmed,” he said. “You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter, ‘He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’”
8 Trembling and bewildered, the women went out and fled from the tomb. They said nothing to anyone, because they were afraid.
During Easter we celebrate the victory that God has accomplished for us through the death and Resurrection of Jesus. We however often find ourselves living somewhat less than victorious. These women are living between the Cross and the Resurrection. The Resurrection has taken place but they do not yet know that in any experiential way.
- Much of life seems to fall BETWEEN Good Friday and Easter Sunday.
- Our search for meaning and purpose can take us through DARK TIMES.
- Temptations, that promise self-fulfillment and happiness, end in DESPAIR.
- We live under the constant reminder of our MORTALITY.
- The Resurrection of Jesus is our HOPE.
- Hope is not realized until we CONNECT to Jesus in a meaningful faith!
- Stories about Jesus can inspire or challenge us but they CAN’T CHANGE US.
- Theology concerning the Cross and Resurrection of Jesus can stimulate our thinking or it can bore us but it CAN’T GIVE US HOPE!
- Hope is real when WE ACCEPT what Jesus has done for us!