February 25th 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 8:27-38 WHAT’S THE GOOD WORD?
Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” 28 And they answered him, “John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” 29 He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered him, “You are the Messiah.” 30 And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.
31 Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32 He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”
34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my word in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” (NRSV)
- The most important question we will ever ANSWER is the one Jesus asked his disciples; …who do you say that I am?
- Peter’s is right, Jesus is the Messiah! But, Jesus explains, Messiah IS NOT what you have been anticipating. (Perhaps some of us have been looking for something else)
- God’s plan is different than our own. (divine)
- We think God should only do that which makes us comfortable and happy. (human)
- Sometimes we give the impression that we know more than God.
- God wants us to grasp the CRITICAL ROLE we play in his plan for the world.
- Jesus makes three radical statements about following Him:
- If I want to save my life then I have to LOSE IT first for Jesus and the gospel. (v.35)
- There is nothing more VALUABLE than the life God offers. (v.36)
- We are to deny ourselves and follow him unashamedly! (vv.34; 38)
- When we settle for human ways of thinking we, like Peter, tell God that he has it wrong.