January 14th, 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 1:9-13 JESUS STANDS IN OUR SHOES
At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
12 At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, 13 and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. He was with the wild animals, and angels attended him.
- Jesus’ temptation in the wilderness authenticates the biblical witness that Jesus knows what it’s like to STAND IN OUR SHOES.
…we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was without sin. Hebrew 4:15 (NIV)
- Facing temptation in our own abilities is a sure path to failure. But facing temptation in the STRENGTH of the One who has overcome is empowering.
- Temptation is always a lure to STEP OUTSIDE of WHO WE ARE (God’s child) and walk a different path from the one God desires for us.
- We are tempted to use God’s gifts for SELFISH purposes.
- We are tempted to project an image of SELF-IMPORTANCE.
- We are tempted to SETTLE for lesser gods.
- Jesus came to bring us SAFELY to God. Jesus shows us that it is possible to transcend the messiness and chaos of our lives and overcome temptations so that we can walk the path God desires for us.