January 21st, 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 1:14-20 I’VE GOTTA GET A MESSAGE TO YOU
After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 “The time has come,” he said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!”
16 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 17 “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” 18 At once they left their nets and followed him.
19 When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. 20 Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.
- When bad things happen we can do either of two things, lament the situation or be an AMBASSADOR of the good news of God.
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20 (NIV)
- Jesus announced that it was a NEW DAY: the Kingdom of God has come near. One scholar suggests an accurate paraphrase is: the Kingdom of God is within your reach! (The whole Jesus event is so that people will know this.)
- This is a radical word for Jesus’ listeners. The teaching the people heard made the Kingdom of God DISTANT and impersonal. Sadly some still do that today.
- God has come near so that we might know him. No one need live without God. God’s Kingdom is for ALL PEOPLE.
"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32 (NIV)
- …the time has come… There is an urgency in Jesus’ words. The day of DECISION is here.
- REPENT of selfish living and selfish attitudes.
- BELIEVE that God is near and wants us to know him.
- Jesus calls us to JOIN his urgent mission.
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” (v.17)