January 28th, 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 1:21-28 AMAZING GRACE?
Jesus and his companions went to the town of Capernaum. When the Sabbath day came, he went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22 The people were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority—quite unlike the teachers of religious law.
23 Suddenly, a man in the synagogue who was possessed by an evil spirit cried out, 24 “Why are you interfering with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
25 But Jesus reprimanded him. “Be quiet! Come out of the man,” he ordered. 26 At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him.
27 Amazement gripped the audience, and they began to discuss what had happened. “What sort of new teaching is this?” they asked excitedly. “It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders!” 28 The news about Jesus spread quickly throughout the entire region of Galilee. NLT
- When Jesus began his ministry people were amazed at what he taught and what he did. They were DRAWN to him and his message of hope. There doesn’t seem to be that sense of amazement with many of us with either the person or the message of Jesus.
- When we truly HEAR Jesus’ teachings they are absolutely amazing.
- There are those who DISMISS Jesus without ever exploring who he is or listening to what he says.
- Sadly we tend to gravitate toward a COMFORTABLE somewhat banal faith, that doesn’t require anything from us.
- It may be that we haven’t considered Jesus’ words as being authoritative.
- It may be that we are merely going through the motions of faith expressions.
- It might be helpful if we could hear Jesus’ words and experience his presence in a FRESH WAY, without all of the associated religious trappings.
- What would it take for us to be gripped by amazement?