March 4, 2018
LIFE LESSONS FROM MARK
MARK 11:11; 15-19 GETTING OUR HOUSE IN ORDER
11Jesus entered Jerusalem and went into the temple courts. He looked around at everything, but since it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the Twelve.
15 On reaching Jerusalem, Jesus entered the temple courts and began driving out those who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves, 16 and would not allow anyone to carry merchandise through the temple courts. 17 And as he taught them, he said, “Is it not written: ‘My house will be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’”
18 The chief priests and the teachers of the law heard this and began looking for a way to kill him, for they feared him, because the whole crowd was amazed at his teaching.
19 When evening came, Jesus and his disciples went out of the city.
- The gathering place for God’s people (church) is designed to be a house of prayer.
- God is PRESENT when people gather in his name.
- All are welcome to come to God and experience the BLESSING of knowing him.
- Our human ways of thinking sometimes get in the way of blessing
- We tend to substitute religious FORMS for the presence of God.
- Honestly, sometimes we are just downright SELF-SERVING.
- The world needs the church to return to being “a house of prayer!”
- A house of prayer is a PLACE OF HEALING for all brokenness.
- A house of prayer gives CLARITY to what’s truly significant in life.