May 20th, 2018
JOHN 16:1-15 WHO’S IN YOUR CORNER?
“All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things. 7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: 9 about sin, because people do not believe in me; 10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.
12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”
- We are not ALONE! Jesus’ physical departure opened the door for the Holy Spirit to come.
- Advocate (Greek-parakletos)—One called along side TO HELP. Also translated; Comforter, Counselor, Helper.
- The Holy Spirit is not just with us He is IN US.
I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. John 14:16-17 (NIV)
- The Holy Spirit in us never serves a PRIVATE agenda. (v.3) Instead, the Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus through us.
- The Holy Spirit facilitates our FORMATION into followers of Christ in three ways.
- To convince and convict of SIN. The rationale for killing Jesus is sinful. It is rejection of Jesus that is the root of all sin. v.9
- To convince and convict of RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jesus’ Ascension to the Father is proof of his righteousness. Jesus’ life is the model for Christian aspirations. v.10
- To convince and convict of JUDGMENT. On the Cross evil stands condemned and defeated. All of us will stand before the judgement seat of God. v.11
- The Holy Spirit will relentlessly steer us toward TRUTH.