November 12, 2017
THE RIGHTEOUS LIVE BY THEIR FAITH—HAB. 2:4
DEUTERONOMY 26:1-11 A BASKET-FULL OF AWARENESS
When you have entered the land the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance and have taken possession of it and settled in it, 2 take some of the firstfruits of all that you produce from the soil of the land the Lord your God is giving you and put them in a basket. Then go to the place the Lord your God will choose as a dwelling for his Name 3 and say to the priest in office at the time, “I declare today to the Lord your God that I have come to the land the Lord swore to our ancestors to give us.” 4 The priest shall take the basket from your hands and set it down in front of the altar of the Lord your God. 5 Then you shall declare before the Lord your God: “My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down into Egypt with a few people and lived there and became a great nation, powerful and numerous. 6 But the Egyptians mistreated us and made us suffer, subjecting us to harsh labor. 7 Then we cried out to the Lord, the God of our ancestors, and the Lord heard our voice and saw our misery, toil and oppression. 8 So the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with signs and wonders. 9 He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; 10 and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, Lord, have given me.” Place the basket before the Lord your God and bow down before him. 11 Then you and the Levites and the foreigners residing among you shall rejoice in all the good things the Lord your God has given to you and your household.
- Living by faith is AWARENESS that God is Creator, Sustainer and Owner of the world.
The earth is the Lord’s and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters. (Psalm 24:1-2)
- Awareness generates a genuine DESIRE to show adoration for God. Adoration validates what’s in the heart.
- Also, there is an ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that life and the ability to produce is a gift.
Remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth… (Deuteronomy 8:18)
- It is an act of WORSHIP when we bring our offerings to God. We REJOICE with the worshipping community over the good things that God has given (vv. 10-11).
- Bring the FIRSTFRUITS as an offering to God (v.2). (Don’t give God the leftovers)
- Rehearse our faith STORY. Part of what we do in worship is to link ourselves to those who have gone before us (vv.5-9).