November 19, 2017
THE RIGHTEOUS LIVE BY THEIR FAITH—HAB. 2:4
2 CORINTHIANS 2:12-16 SOMETHING SURE SMELLS GOOD
Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me, 13 I still had no peace of mind, because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I said goodbye to them and went on to Macedonia.
14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. 15 For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?
- It’s not likely that we think of ourselves as the aroma of Christ.
- Generally we have a mindset of just trying to get by.
- Maybe it’s because we don’t value enough WHO WE ARE in Christ.
- A re-orientation is in order. We are inthe triumphal procession of Christ! (V.14)
- We are living expressions of the HOPE OF GOD that is in Christ.
- It is our aim that people would see CHRIST IN US.
- Paul writes; But thanks be to God, who always leads us… (v.14).
- Thankfulness is an ATTITUDE that helps us escape the plague of self-consumption.
- Thankfulness is ESSENTIAL to our spirituality. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. Psalm 100:4 (NIV)
- Since God leads us, the appropriate response is to follow and following implies we are COMMITTED to go where God leads.
- When following Jesus we may be despised or experience anger because sin and failure are EXPOSED to the light of Christ. To the one we are the smell of death; (V.16)
- Some however, will see Christ in us and be DRAWN to the fragrance of life! (V.16)
- And who is equal to such a task? (v.16). Anyone who FOLLOWS God.
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. 1 Timothy 1:12 (NIV)
If I could do anything for the Kingdom of God and know I would not fail, I would ___________ _________________________________________________________________.
At the end of my life, I would love to be able to look back and know that I had done something about ____________________________________________________________.
What I would most like to do for others is _______________________________.