September 17 2017
ROMANS 14:1-12 AUDIENCE OF ONE
Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them. 4 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.
5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11 It is written:
“‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’”
12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
- Most of us have questions concerning ultimate JUDGMENT.
- Concerns over our own judgment can lead us to cast a CRITICAL EYE toward others. (Somehow it makes us feel better about ourselves to point out other people’s flaws.)
- Contempt towards others is inappropriate (v.10), for in the end it is God who enables his children to STAND before him and yes, some of his children are weak.
- Paul reminds us, we are all better off thinking about our own ACCOUNTABILITY! (v.12)
- We can almost hear Paul say, live your life with an AUDIENCE OF ONE in mind!